November is Alzheimer’s Awareness Month. During this time communities, health organizations, caregivers and their families come together to recognize, support, educate and raise awareness for this disease. Alzheimer’s is a neurodegenerative disease that affects the areas of the brain responsible for memory, thought-processing and behavior. When neurons that carry messages to different parts of the brain are unable to send those important signals, daily independent living becomes increasingly difficult. Since Alzheimer’s is a progressive disease, one’s ability to recall information, communicate effectively and complete routine tasks worsens over time. The everyday lives of individuals living with Alzheimer’s are profoundly affected with physical, emotional and cognitive impacts.
Many families seek a helping hand when caring for a loved one living with Alzheimer’s. Aqua Home Care is an in-home care referral company committed to finding caregivers who provide the care their clients need right in the comfort of their own homes. When a loved one is displaying warning signs of Alzheimer’s, consulting with a medical professional is imperative. Early indications include:
- Memory loss – difficulty retaining new information and remembering significant dates and events; frequently misplacing items
- Difficulty completing routine tasks – driving, paying bills, cooking, bathing, etc.
- Confusion – forgetting where one is or how they got there or the current day/month/year
- Communication issues – difficulty with expression either verbally or through writing; trouble following a conversation
- Withdrawal – one may retreat from social interactions and events due to symptoms
- Personality changes – feelings of anger, depression, fear and anxiety can cause changes to one’s mood and overall emotional state
Watching someone you love display such behaviors can be deeply concerning as well as very frightening for the person experiencing them. While there is currently no known cure for Alzheimer’s, medications and strategies can help with managing symptoms. If your loved one has been diagnosed with Alzheimer’s disease, please know that you are not alone. With compassion and experience, Aqua Home Care is here to find the quality care that helps keep you right at home.