Living in Florida offers year-round benefits, and many of them can be enjoyed outdoors. Our expansive coastlines, mild winters, local attractions and tropical climate allows for ample time in the sun. Getting ready to spend the day under those rays, however, does require some sun-specific preparation. With skin being the largest, and potentially most exposed, organ on the human body, protecting it from sun damage is vital. The prevalence of harmful UV ray exposure increases when closer to the equator, and, as we reside in one of the more southern locations in the country, taking precautions is part of everyday life.
Keeping ourselves and our loved ones safe under the sun can help to avoid the dangers caused by overexposure. For those needing assistance in daily living, self-care when out in the sun may be more difficult. Our Aqua Home Care team remains mindful of the importance of sun safety, and refers mindful caregivers for those requiring in-home care services. Individuals who receive in-home care benefit from having a trusted care professional within their own home who tends to their needs and well-being. This service can extend outside the home and under the sun as well. Implementing UV protection tips can help prevent sunburn, skin cancer, premature aging, and skin damage. Caregivers can assist their clients by helping with/offering reminders regarding the following sun safety tips while outdoors:
- Wear appropriate sunscreen – your dermatologist can make recommendations
- Utilize sunglasses/sunhats – the protection of skin on the head and the protection of the eyes from UV rays can be easily overlooked
- Wear sun-blocking attire – longer sleeves/pants and darker clothing when possible
- Limit sun exposure, especially between the hours of 10am and 4pm
- Move to shaded areas, but remember that you can still be affected by the sun
- Be mindful of medications that can make skin more sensitive to the sun
- Further, keep regular appointments with the dermatologist. Caregivers can provide transportation as well
Implementing safety strategies and practicing precaution is part of maintaining a healthy lifestyle. It is important to remember that even on cloudy days UV rays can pose a risk. Aqua Home Care wishes everyone a safe summer of fun in the sun. For individuals needing daily living care, we are happy to refer mindful, trusted caregivers from our registry who can offer their support indoors and outdoors. Living in a nearly year-round state of sunshine can sound like paradise. Practicing sun safety tips can help it continue to feel like one.