The warmest season of the year is upon us, and these long summer days are bringing even higher temperatures to our Sunshine State. Though years of living on this tropical peninsula may have acclimated its residents to such conditions, heat safety is applicable to even the most seasoned of Floridians. Being mindful of the heat index, UV index and what necessary precautions to take can make all the difference.
Here at Aqua Home Care, we understand the importance of staying safe under the sun all year long and especially during times of extreme heat. Over-exposure to the sun can result in skin damage, exhaustion, heat stroke and other dangers. In-home care recipients receive services that meet their everyday needs, and their personal caregivers go above and beyond to secure their well-being from indoor and outdoor elements as well. When it comes to staying safe from the effects of heat, whether in the home or while out, trusted caregivers from our registry can help by:
- Monitoring the thermostat and making adjusts accordingly
- Calling for services should air conditioning maintenance be needed
- Applying sunscreen when exposed to the sun’s rays to avoid skin damage
- Ensuring attire is weather appropriate, including sunglasses or a sunhat if needed
- Being mindful of the signs of over-heating
- Offering reminders to drink more water to stay hydrated
- Moving to shaded areas when outdoors
- Taking breaks to cool down
- Moving indoors if necessary
Overexposure to the sun’s rays can lead to unpleasant and even dangerous conditions. Paying attention to the heat index and UV index can help you prepare for a day outdoors. In-home caregivers continue to monitor these conditions so that their clients remain comfortable and safe. Our Aqua Home Care team wishes everyone in our community a wonderful summer as the season progresses along with a friendly reminder to take necessary precautions whenever out under the sun.