When health is compromised, there can be noticeable differences in the way our bodies function from day-to-day. Nutritional wellness plays a major role in regards to both health and quality of life. Though this is true for every age group, poor nutrition tends to affect individuals differently in later years. Older adults require less calories, yet a higher amount of certain nutrients. At this stage, the focus is more on quality than quantity. Maintaining proper nutrition with nutrient-dense foods while also maintaining needed calories can make a world of difference.
In honor of National Nutrition Month, our Aqua Home Care team would like to share some tips for staying on top of your nutrition to ensure your body is receiving all that it needs to stay in its best form for as long as possible.
- Speak with your doctor – Your doctor knows your medical history, and nutritional needs depend on a variety of factors. Keeping regular appointments can ensure proper monitoring of conditions and symptoms that may arise from poor nutrition and more.
- Speak with a nutritionist – A nutritionist specializes in helping people understand how different foods affect the body and the reasons why. They can help with creating meal plans based on personal need. A geriatric dietician nutritionist specializes in senior nutrition and can provide valuable information for their aging clients. Your doctor may be able to make a referral.
- Maintain proper nutrition – Knowing what your body needs to stay well is powerful. Proper nutrition has an immense impact on overall health. Using this knowledge for the betterment of your health is an investment in your present and in your future.
Age is a factor when it comes to nutrition, and other present factors can make maintaining wellness more difficult. Here at Aqua Home Care, we refer trusted in-home caregivers who offer a wide variety of personal care services right in the comfort of their client’s home. Caregivers from our registry are available to provide services that promote healthy living for quality living. When it comes to nutritional wellness, services can include:
- Meal preparation
- Feeding assistance
- Medication reminders
- Assistance with grocery shopping
- Transportation to appointments
Doing what we can to prolong vitality and good health relies heavily on what we put into our bodies. Eating well and ensuring that the proper amount of vitamins and minerals find their way onto our plates and into our systems is monumental for our health.